Northeastern Illinois University is a vibrant learning and research community, with its Main Campus on the Northwest Side of Chicago and three other locations in the area. At Northeastern, more than 100 countries are represented by our student body, and the student-to-teacher ratio is a low 16 to 1. Here is what you also should know about Northeastern.
Awards and Recognitions
Northeastern, a federally designated Hispanic-Serving Institution, is consistently recognized as a national leader among its peers. Here are some of the highlights:
Low student debt
- According to U.S. News & World Report and LendEDU, Northeastern is the best in the state and among the nation’s leaders at graduating students with the least debt.
- According to College Stats, Northeastern is the nation’s third-safest campus.
- According to YourLocalSecurity, Northeastern is the safest campus in Illinois.
- According to The Wall Street Journal/Times Higher Education and U.S. News & World Report, Northeastern is the most diverse college or university in the Midwest.
- According to Diverse: Issues in Higher Education, Northeastern is a top-100 university for ethnically diverse graduates.
Top 10 Majors
Northeastern’s top 10 majors from the Fall 2017 semester:
- Computer Science
- Social Work
- Interdisciplinary Studies
- Justice Studies
- Communication, Media and Theatre
- Human Resource Development
Four Chicago-Area Locations
Access to Opportunity is one of Northeastern’s six written values. We offer a variety of classes and degree-granting programs at four locations. Enrollment, financial aid and academic support services are offered at each location.
Northeastern Illinois University has regional accreditation through the Higher Learning Commission of the North Central Association of Schools and Colleges. Read more information about all of Northeastern's accreditations.